Search

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Stuffed Green Peppers


I've never made stuffed peppers before, but I've always wanted to.  For some reason, the recipe or the end product intimidated me - like I would for sure screw it up.  Well, after this recipe success, I am no longer afraid!  Very easy and good - and best of all - the last step was in the microwave!  Pretty sure that puts it at the top of my list for a great recipe.  You could easily prep this the night before and then "make them" in the microwave coming home from work.  I know I have about a 15 minute window each night from the time Aiden gets in the door to full blown melt-down if dinner is not on the table.  15 minutes and this one is done (if you do the prep ahead of time).

Ingredients:
4 medium-large green bell peppers
1 lb of extra lean (we use 96/4) ground beef
1.5 cups of spaghetti sauce (I used prego tomato, garlic and onion and it worked out great)
1 cup of garlic seasoned croutons, crushed
1 t dried onion flakes
1/4 t black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
Parmesan cheese
Wax paper, Pam spray, and a qt. size ziploc bag

Directions:
Crush the croutons in a ziploc bag.  Cut off tops of peppers; remove seeds and membranes.  In a skillet, brown ground beef and drain (with the lean meat that we use, I don't drain).  Combine beef, 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce, crushed croutons, onion flakes, black pepper and beaten egg.  Stir until well mixed and egg has been absorbed by the mixture.  Stuff each pepper with equal amounts of the beef mixture. Place peppers in 8x8 or 9x9 glass dish (the tighter squeeze the better so they stay standing) sprayed with Pam.  Cover peppers loosely with wax paper.  Microwave on high for 14 minutes (turn dish halfway through if your microwave does not rotate).  Remove from microwave (careful - can be hot).  Spoon 2 tbsp. of spaghetti sauce on top of each pepper.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Microwave on high for 1 more minute.  Serve warm. 

We had ours on top of rice and with a side of no sugar added pears.  I think if I had to do it over again, I'd skip the rice and serve it with a slice of garlic bread instead.  It tasted like pizza - it was GREAT!

No comments: