Search

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Crockpot Thai Beef with Red Peppers


Oh my gosh - this is seriously the best thing I've made in the longest time.  I don't know if I was just craving something that tasted like that old indulge and do not think about tomorrow chinese food or what, but this hit the spot.  There is some heat to it, but it's matched nicely by the sweetness of the sauce.  The other great thing - we had our garage sale yesterday, we were seriously soaked from the rain in the morning and exhausted by the time it was all said and done AND I still had the energy to throw this in the crock pot.  It was done in 2.5 hours with about 15 minutes prep time.  Easy peasy - my kind of meal!

Ingredients:
1 cup of FF, reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup lite soy sauce
1/3 cup reduced fat creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons of honey
      - it breaks down in the sauce - so if you're WLS, you probably will not have a problem6 cloves of minced garlic
      - or 3 tsp of prepared minced garlic like I use - this pre-done stuff is a god send
2 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger root
      - this was a new one for me, I found this also "pre-made" in the produce section by the pre-made minced garlic.  It was $1.99 for a small bottle.  Well worth it considering actual ginger root looks like a piece of coral - straight up!
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
      -  I used cayenne pepper - it worked just fine.
2 red bell peppers, thinking sliced and cut into bite size or 1.5-2inch sections
1 pound of boneless top round sirloin, fat trimmed off - cut into bit size pieces
      -  I always get a couple of these when they are buy one get one free at the store - which is where I came up with the idea for this recipe.   The original recipe I found called for pork chops - I think this was better : )  AND it used up some stuff in the freezer.  The original recipe also called for full blown calories and fat of some of the other ingredients - I modified to make healthier for us.
1 bag of Uncle Ben's 90 second Jasmine or Basmati Rice
     - SO EASY to do it this way!  And a perfect serving size for 2 people.

Directions:
Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, minced garlic, red pepper, minced ginger, red bell peppers and bite size pieces of sirloin in crock pot.  I used a medium size crock pot and there was plenty of room.  Stir everything together and cook on High for 2.5 hours or on low for 5 hours.  Serve each individual serving over half a bag of Uncle Ben's 90 second Ready Rice.  Pour one spoonful of extra sauce over dish.  YUM!  Can't wait for leftovers at lunch : )

No comments: