Search

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

We've been up to moving...

So I've been M.I.A. for over 1 month.  Okay, we are getting close to 2 months at this point.  A lot of updating to do, but I thought I'd start with a picture of Bentley and I.  Last night Ryan, Bentley and I went to a k9 club event on campus for rescue dogs.  Although Bentley is not a rescue dog, he was still welcomed and the students enjoyed playing with him.  One of my students, also named Ryan, was there taking pictures of the event.  He's trying to start his own business of photography someday, so I'm encouraging him at every possible turn to come and take pictures of whatever is going on.  I was really proud to see him there and he took some great pictures! The one below is one he took of Bentley and I - Ryan likes it : )
Ryan and I have been busy little bees working on the house in the last month and a half.  Our friends have been helping out too.  Frankly, the walls would not be painted without their help!  We've painted 5 rooms (dining room, living room, sun room, master bedroom and guest bedroom) and all the trim.  We have a bit more work to do in the guest room and then we're going to start decorating.  Unpacking is, well... a work in progress.  We have unpacked all the "necessary" items, Bentley has his stash of toys and the main furniture is pretty much in the correct rooms.  This weekend I suppose it's time to tackle unpacking all those boxes, but I've started to find a NEW passion... refinishing furniture.  My goal for the master bedroom is to make it look shabby chic.  A few google searches later, Ryan said "honey, just do whatever you want with the room, I guess I don't really understand".  I think he's starting to get it.  Tonight we bought 2 dressers for me to refinish.  I have been going to every antique and thrift store in our area looking for "treasures".  I've decided my sister and I have officially traded personalities!  She is becoming the ultimate business woman and I am shopping in thrift stores, talking people down on prices and looking at the "bones" of a piece of furniture to decide if the piece will work.  Mid life crisis at 28??? It could happen!

I think a lot of this is stemming from me wanting to have a project, something tangible and something to see RESULTS!!!  Work has been without "results" for awhile now and this might be my solution.  I will probably get back to cooking, but while the weather is nice, I plan to refinish furniture while I can in the garage and keep working on everything else.  I've also found some treasures here and there that I'm looking forward to putting up in the rooms.  I'd love to find a sitting chair for one of the rooms yet, but I think I'll have to wait on that one.

So here's what's to come...
-before and after pictures of the house
-9 month pictures (because as of Oct. 5th I hit my 9 month mark and I'm down 130 pounds total!!!)
-Before and after pictures of furniture I refinish
-crafty projects that either succeed or fail - remember... it's all about trusting the process ;)
- more recipes (eventually)
- and finally... a little more commentary.  I feel like I've been censoring some of my thoughts on things because it didn't fit the title of my blog.  But to HELL with it!  I have thoughts that can become plans that can easily influence other parts of my life - even if I don't intend for that to happen.  So I'm going to be checking into redesigning the look of the blog.  I'll stay with the title because there is a part of me that wants to honor how this all started, but in the last 9 months I've changed and I think it's time for my blog to reflect that too!

So all of you structured people out there (you know I love you!) get ready for my A.D.D. of blog posts and enjoy the ride of the next 9 months. (Not that there is a countdown or anything ;)

No comments: