Search

Monday, March 12, 2012

Ham and Corn Chowder

Bracket season anyone???  Maybe I'll let you know who I have winning it all tomorrow - it's unconventional, but that usually serves me well ; )  That's what I did with my time tonight (filled out my bracket) after gabbing with my mom, spending an hour on facebook and hanging with my favorite little baby.  Now I'm posting my second recipe of the night : )  Anyway, Ryan made dinner tonight and it was DEEEEE-Lish!  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this dinner and I didn't have much faith to start.  I always thought "chowder" meant fish... then I thought it meant "potatoes"... nope, neither.  Turns out it just means "thickened soup" usually with some sort of cream or milk.  Heads up, this recipe only made enough for 2 servings, one for each of us.  So if you're serving more, prepare to double or triple it.

Ingredients:
2 T stick margarine
½ c onion, chopped
1 t minced prepared garlic
¼ t paprika
pinch  of crushed red pepper
¼ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 small bag frozen corn, thawed
1 can chicken broth (14oz)
½ c light half-and-half
1 c diced ham - (We used a ham steak and then used the vidalia chopper to "dice" it.  Worked well)

Directions:
In a large stock pot, melt the margarine over med heat; add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic, paprika, red pepper, salt and pepper; cook 2 min. Stir in corn, broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 min. Puree half of soup in blender and return to pot, add ham and stir to combine. (We heated the ham in the microwave after dicing it for 1 1/2 minutes before adding to the soup.)

No comments: