Search

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti


I don't think I've mastered this recipe yet, but we're getting there.  This is another one that I adapted from my new magazine - Clean Eating.  When I say adapted, I got the idea from them and basically used tomatoes, chicken and pasta.  The rest is whatever I added or subtracted from them!

Ingredients:
2-8oz. chicken breasts (grilled or sauteed and cut into bite size pieces)
1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tbsp. italian seasoning
6 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 large or 3 medium roma tomatoes
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Season chicken breasts with 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning and 1/2 tbsp of dried basil. Grill or saute chicken breasts until cooked through. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.  Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.  Saute onions and minced garlic in 1 tbsp. of olive oil for 3-4 minutes.  Add diced Roma tomatoes to onions and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on medium heat.  Add chunks of chicken and 1 tbsp. of dried basil and Italian seasoning and cook on med-low for another 3 minutes.  In another sauce pan, heat tomato sauce.  To serve, place 1-2 oz. of whole wheat pasta on plate, top with 1/4-1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup chicken mixture.  Top with 1/4-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.  (Ryan had about double what I listed above for his serving.  I couldn't eat it all, but it was good and the emphasis of the dish was on the chicken, not the pasta.

No comments: