Search

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken Mozzarella Pasta Bake





This was my attempt at using some of those yummy fresh veggies that I got yesterday.  I would rate the end product as a 3 out or 5.  I think it needed a lot more seasoning and more chicken to truly pull it off, but for my first attempt and making it up as I went - not too bad.  For the ingredients and the directions below, I already up'd the chicken content - but I didn't adjust the spices.  I figured anyone else trying this would be able to season to their liking.  The whole wheat pasta has a different flavor than the white pasta, so I think you'll appreciate the need for extra seasoning.

Ingredients:
1 can of diced tomatoes (partially drained)
15oz. container of part skim ricotta cheese
15-20 grape tomatoes (sliced)
4 - 4oz. baked chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
Kosher Salt
Ground Pepper
2 cups of part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups of fresh spinach (pulled into small pieces by hand)
1 cup marinara sauce (I used Prego Traditional)
Italian Seasoning (season to taste - I used 1 tablespoon and wish I would have used more)
1 pound box of whole wheat rotini pasta

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Season chicken breasts with kosher salt, pepper and 1/2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning.  Bake in oven (I did mine for 30 minutes at 375 degrees).  Cut chicken into chunks after it's done baking.  While chicken is baking, cook pasta on stove following package directions.  Drain pasta and mix with all ingredients except mozzarella cheese in a 9x13 pan.  Cover dish with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.  Serve to with garlic bread if desired.  (This makes A-LOT, so be prepared for left overs!)

No comments: