Search

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sausage Hash (the good stuff)!



So when Ryan and I first moved to PA, there was a weekend that I was determined to use what we had in the fridge.  I said "how about I make hash?"  He turned up his nose so quick and said "ewww, no!"  Well, if any of you know me, I made it anyway.  When I served it, he said "mmm... this looks good, what is this?"  I just started laughing and said "It's Hash!"  He explained that was not his understanding of hash - what he knew of hash was that it came out of a can and resembled dog food.  I didn't believe him until he took me to the section in the grocery store that has Hash... and yes, he was right.  So whatever you think of Hash - give this a chance.  My dad made something similar growing up, but there were NO veggies in his.  I've changed that for ours - it's a great dish with a lot of color.

Ingredients:
2 large or 3 medium red potatoes (cut into small pieces)
1 stalk of celery (chopped)
20-25 cherry tomatoes (Sliced in half)
20 baby carrots (chopped into pieces - not pictured from our meal tonight, we didn't have that in the fridge)
2/3rd's of a red or orange, yellow and green pepper (about 2 cups total chopped)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 roll of sausage (This is what we use)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. Badia All Spice Seasoning (Info found here)
Reduced Sugar Ketchup (optional.  I like mine with it, Ryan likes his without)
You'll also need a medium ziploc steamer bag (Example Here)

Directions:
Cut carrots and potatoes into small bite size pieces.  Put into steamer bag and pour in 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1/2 tbsp. all spice seasoning.  Shake and microwave for 5-6 minutes.  Let sit in microwave in steamer bag until later.  Saute peppers, tomatoes and onions in 1 tbsp. of olive oil for 6-7 minutes on medium high heat.  Season mixture with remaining 1/2 tbsp all spice seasoning.  Brown sausage in separate large skillet or wok, break up so it resembles ground beef.  Once it is browned through, pour in contents of steamer bag and the onion/pepper/tomato mixture.  Let cook together for 2-3 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Add in chopped celery in the last 2 minutes and serve.  Reduced Sugar Ketchup is optional.

No comments: