Search

Monday, April 25, 2011

Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins and a Milestone

Today is one of those days where I appreciate working at a private, religiously affiliated college... yep, we got the day off!  I've used my time this morning to be Suzy Homemaker.  I've done laundry, dishes, thought about ironing (no progress there yet), made lunch for Ryan and I and whipped up this new recipe of Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins.  My lunch post will be coming soon.  I took ingredient pictures and midway pictures as I always do when working through a recipe and apparently my phone decided it wanted the day off too.  None of them saved.  So we only have end result pictures for the day - sorry about that!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unsweetened fresh blueberries

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/3 cup Splenda granulated sugar

  • 1 large egg

  • 4 oz of unsweetened applesauce

  • 1/2 cup skim milk

  • 1 tablespoon Splenda (to sprinkle on top before baking)

  • Pam Baking Spray


  • Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Lightly spray muffin tin with non-stick spray (these tend to stick to the paper cups)
    3. Wash and drain blueberries. Set aside.
    4. In large bowl, combine both kinds of flour. Add baking powder and the 1/3 cup Splenda. Mix together.
    5. In another small bowl, whisk together the egg, apple sauce and milk.
    6. Combine the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just enough to blend (no electric mixers necessary). Gently fold in the blueberries.
    7. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full (this recipe makes 10 muffins for me). Use the last tablespoon of Splenda to sprinkle on top of each muffin and bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are light brown.
    8. After baking, allow muffins to cool before removing them from the tin. Enjoy!
    In other news, I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I stepped on the scale to do my weekly weigh in.  I'm officially 2 pounds below my ultimate goal weight of 180!  I told Ryan that we need to take some before and after pictures - so those will be coming in the next week I would guess. Total, I'm down 169 lbs. from my overall highest weight of 347.  It's been 15.5 months since surgery (Jan. 5, 2010).  To see my before pics, go here.  The blog has been up and running for 1 year and a week - hard to believe a year has gone that quickly!  Thanks to all my readers for your support and encouragement to keep posting!  If you'd like to see some things done differently, just let me know.  I'm up for the challenge!

    No comments: