Search

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eggs and Muffin Breakfast Casserole

The final product just out of the oven.
This recipe was meant to be for Easter because of all the good sales on eggs last week.  Well, I didn't get around to making it last week - but I did this morning and it was GREAT!  Ryan said I should enter into an egg cook-off.  Considering I just started eating eggs less than 2 years ago (had to get the protein in), I don't think I'm there yet - but that is my hubby's way of saying "I like this, please make it again".  I'll take it however I can get it.  I halved the recipe because it's just the 2 of us, but the original recipe called for 12 servings.  I'll post notes about the original recipe at the bottom.   

Ingredients.
Before putting it into the oven to bake.

My piece served up : )

Ingredients:
1-12 oz. pkg. of original breakfast sausage links (can use turkey sausage if you prefer)
3 whole wheat English muffins, ripped into 1 inch pieces
1/8 cup melted butter and enough to grease the bottom and sides of the dish
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (feel free to up this if you like things cheesier)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (again, feel free to up if you like)
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
6 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 cup bacon bits

Directions:
Cook sausage according to package directions (I made mine in the microwave, super easy). Cool slightly and cut into 1/4 inch bite size pieces. In a greased 8x8 baking dish, layer half of the English muffin pieces and half the cooked sausage.  Repeat layers.  Drizzle with melted butter and top with onion, red pepper and sprinkle with both kinds of shredded cheese.  In medium-large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.  Pour over casserole.  Sprinkle top of casserole with bacon bits.  Cover and refrigerate overnight (I only let mine sit for a half hour in the fridge and it worked just fine).  Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Ours went the full 50 minutes). Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Makes 6 servings total. (VERY FILLING!)

The original recipe calls for double of everything above, does not specify whole wheat English muffins and uses a 9x13 dish.  If you double the recipe, I'd expect to increase the cooking time to 55-60 minutes and it will easily make 12 servings.

No comments: