Search

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Birthday cake - yep yep!!!


So it's not my birthday - we're still about 2 months away from that.  But this week was one of those weeks for both Ryan and I.  We were both in the mood for something fresh and I wanted to "spoil" myself with something I thought I'd never have again - birthday cake!

When I was a little girl, I was obsessed with strawberry shortcake (the character... and the food!)  Around the age of 9 or 10, I started asking for angel food cake with strawberries for my birthday cake.  My mother happily obliged and it became my go to for special celebrations.  I never knew that there was a SUGAR FREE version of angel food cake, but I found one in the store the other night!  It has 16 sugar alcohols for 1/5 of the cake, but for the tiny pieces I was serving, it was about 1/15th of the cake - so no worries there.

Now that I've discovered this, it will be hard to wait for my birthday in June to have it again.  I'm thinking I might try a truffle of some sort for Memorial Day weekend =)

Ingredients:
Store bought sugar free angel food cake, strawberries, sugar free or light whip cream, equal or another sweetener substitute.  (Optional berries to add in: blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.)

Directions:
Cut cake into small pieces (10 to 15 slices per cake).  Slice up strawberries and mix with other berries.  Cover berries with 6-8 packets of equal and stir.  Layer berries over cake and serve with a dollop of whip cream.

No comments: