Search

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mommy made pancakes : )

This sugar free syrup is the way to go - Ryan likes it just as well as regular!
Dixie chick was over tonight and at about 8:30, my chocolate pancake craving hit.  For those of you that don't know, I've been into chocolate chip pancakes and waffles for the last 6-8 weeks or so.  I NEVER had pancakes or waffles before pregnancy, and hope that this enjoyment doesn't continue after or we might be in some trouble.  We have no eggo waffles in the house and clearly, no pancakes.  So our first option was to google the nearest IHOP (the only place I've ever eaten a pancake before now).  Turns out the closest one is over 45 minutes away, and that just wasn't happening.  While Dixie and Ryan agree that we just won't have any, I go online to find a low sugar recipe - and guess what?  I found one!  And amazingly we had all the ingredients (partly due to the fact that my family was out for Thanksgiving and we had some "bad" stuff left over : )  We just finished having them and here's what we've decided...

1) I was singing in my head "Put a Ring on it" by Beyonce while making these.  It's my new theme song for pancakes.  I have no idea why, but it works.
2) It doesn't matter how old the chocolate chips are, they are still good.
3) Dixie was my personal pancake coach and at some points was concerned... but it worked out!
4) It's a good thing we did this pre-kids.  I don't need my kids getting kitchen anxiety over something like pancakes!
5) If this whole career counseling thing doesn't work, we're going to open a pancake business out of a truck and drive it around where we live.  (Depending on the day, this seems like a very REAL idea ; )
Wouldn't change a thing about the recipe - so here ya go!

On the griddle waiting to be flipped: )
The final STACK!
  Ingredients:
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
3.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Pam baking spray
Sugar Free syrup (we've found that we like the Log Cabin the best)

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and use 1/3 cup measuring cup to spoon onto griddle.
  2. Spray the griddle top with Pam baking spray.  Heat the griddle to medium high heat (or about 300 degrees). Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
This recipe made 9 medium size pancakes for us.  For any WLS people out there, I had 1.5 pancakes.  The only sugar this recipe had was the tbsp of white sugar in the batter and 8 grams of sugar in a tablespoon of chocolate chips.  I had no problems with it, but if you're really sensitive to sugar, it might be too much.  I've heard of sugar free chocolate chips, but have never been able to find them.  You could also use whole wheat flour to make them or do half and half, but with my other 2 eaters - I figured I'd use the regular flour and I'm glad I did : ) 

Craving have been taken care of for the time being!

No comments: